This course was created from an award-winning project called Dementia Care for America’s Heroes, and is a must-see for anyone involved in dementia care. Dr. Heather McKay along with family caregivers in the Long Island State Veterans Home share real stories about communication struggles and effective strategies throughout the disease.
This course is intended for family caregivers and professionals supporting veterans and non-veterans alike.
Viewers gain the following dementia care knowledge and skills:
- Why communication breakdowns happen with dementia
- The importance of what you say and how you say it
- Specific communication techniques to enhance social visits
- Specific communication techniques to ease personal care and other activities
- Specific communication techniques to relieve distress and improve safety for everyone involved
- Stories from family caregivers and pro tips to demystify dementia-capable communication
- Understanding Dementia and Positive Physical Approach (duration: 37:46 mins)
- Strategies for Doing Activities Together (duration: 10:55 mins)
- Strategies for Enhanced Social Visits (duration: 08:19 mins)
- Strategies for Dealing with Distress (duration: 23:21 mins)