This course was created from an award-winning project called Dementia Care for America’s Heroes and helps caregivers understand the timeline of dementia and strategies to adapt care. Dr. Heather McKay along with family and frontline caregivers in the Long Island State Veterans Home share how to provide the right support at the right time through adapting to changing needs.
This course is intended for family caregivers and professionals supporting veterans and non-veterans alike.
Viewers gain the following dementia care knowledge and skills:
- Why capabilities fluctuate for people living with dementia and how to spot patterns
- Dementia progression in 5 stages
- Observable changes (road signs) that mark a significant progression
- Key issues and care strategies matched to each stage
- Stories from families and pro tips in each stage bring the entire journey to life
Chapters included within the video:
- Recognizing Changes
- Level 5: The Routine
- Level 4: The Three C’s
- Level 3: Going Hands On
- Levels 2 and 1: End-of-Life Care
- Video (duration: 01:46:50 hrs)